Apple has released iOS 16, which includes a customizable lock screen, iMessage editing, focus updates, and other features. And here I am with a full detailed overview of what it holds for us.
Apple introduced iOS 16, the latest iPhone operating system, today. iOS 16 is available for free download, as are all Apple software updates. iOS 16 is available for iPhone 8 and beyond, with Apple discontinuing support for the iPhone 6s, iPhone 7, and original iPhone SE this year.
Typically, iOS 16 is accompanied by iPadOS 16, but because Apple is still working on iPadOS 16 features such as Stage Manager, iPadOS 16 has been delayed, and an iPadOS 16.1 update will be released alongside iOS 16.1 in the near future.
How To Download iOS 16 Update?
Apple’s upgraded software can be downloaded over the air on eligible iPhones by navigating to Settings > General > Software Update. Due to strong demand, it may take a few minutes for the updates to reach all users.
While you’re downloading iOS 16, check out our brief feature highlights below and then go over to our iOS 16 roundups for a comprehensive look at everything new.
The most noticeable change in iOS 16 is an overhauled Lock Screen experience, and you can now customize how your Lock Screen looks. You can select backdrops, fonts, and even widgets to display. You can also link specific Focus modes and Apple Watch faces to your Lock Screens, and you can set up numerous to switch between during the day.
An Overview of iOS 16 Update
iMessages can be changed, erased, and marked as unread, while Mail allows you to schedule emails, undo emails, and receive follow-up notifications. FaceTime calls can now be transferred to other devices, and there are new sleep tracking and medication and vitamin tracking capabilities in the Health app.
iCloud Shared Photo Library, which will be included in an iOS 16 update later this year, makes it easy to share images with family members through a single library, while the Photos app now supports copy/paste alterations and protects sensitive albums such as recently deleted. Multi-stop routing is now available in the Maps app, and Apple is planning to replace passwords with passkeys in Safari.
Read More: iOS 16 Battery Drain Is Affecting iPhone Users; Here’s How?
The Home app has been redesigned, and the Activity app now tracks steps and calories burnt even if you don’t have an Apple Watch. The Weather app has been enhanced with additional modules that provide more data, and there have also been improvements for Books, Stocks, Music, Reminders, Notes, Translate, and other apps.
The following are Apple’s complete release notes for the iOS 16 update:
Screen Lock iOS 16
- The redesigned Lock Screen allows you to personalize your Lock Screen in a variety of ways, including displaying favorite photographs, adjusting font styles, showing widgets, and more.
- You can build many Lock Screens and effortlessly switch between them.
- The Lock Screen gallery provides tailored recommendations as well as Apple-curated collections for your Lock Screen.
- Font and color options for personalizing the date and time on your Lock Screen
- Widgets on the Lock Screen provide quick access to information like as the weather, battery levels, upcoming calendar events, and more.
- A new effect puts the photo’s subject in front of the clock (iPhone XS and later)
- Photo styles complement each other by changing the color filter, tinting, and text style of photos on the Lock Screen.
- Notifications are presented at the bottom of your Lock Screen in an expanded list view, stacking view, or count view.
Want to know how to customize your iOS 16 lock screen? Here’s how;
Focus Mode in iOS 16
- Lock Screen connection associates your Lock Screen with a Focus, allowing you to activate it by switching to the appropriate Lock Screen.
- Distracting content is hidden by focus filters in programs such as Calendar, Mail, Messages, Safari, and third-party apps.
- A simplified setup makes getting started with Focus easier and faster, with customized Lock Screen and Home Screen options that include apps and widgets relevant to the Focus you’re configuring.
iMessage in iOS 16
- You can update a message for up to 15 minutes after sending it, and recipients will see a record of the changes.
- Undo send allows you to cancel any message up to 2 minutes after it has been sent.
- Marking a chat as unread makes it simple to return to it later.
- SharePlay in Messages allows you to do things like watch movies, listen to music, play games, and more with your pals while messaging.
- Collaboration allows you to easily invite others to collaborate on a file through Messages and receive activity updates in the thread whenever someone makes an edit to a shared project.
Mail in iOS 16
- Improved search returns more accurate, full results and offers ideas as soon as you start typing.
- Undo send allows you to cancel message delivery within 10 seconds of pushing send.
- Scheduled send allows you to send an email on a given day and time.
- Followup brings unanswered emails to the top of your inbox, allowing you to easily followup.
- Remind me allows you to specify a date and time when you want to be reminded about an email.
Passkeys and Safari in iOS 16
- Shared Tab Groups allow you to share a set of tabs with others and watch the Tab Group update in real-time as you collaborate.
- Each Tab Group’s start page can be customized with different background photos and preferences.
- In Tab Groups, pinned tabs allow you to pin frequently visited websites for each Tab Group.
- Safari web page translation now includes web page translations in various languages including Indonesian, Thai, Turkish, Polish, Vietnamese, and Dutch.
- Passkeys provide support for a simpler and safer password replacement technique.
- iCloud Keychain passkey syncing makes your passkeys available across all of your Apple devices while keeping them end-to-end encrypted.
Live Text in iOS 16
- Live Text video support lets you interact with text in a paused video frame, allowing you to copy, translate, lookup, share, and many other things (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later)
- With a single tap, you can take action on data recognized in photographs and videos, such as tracking flights or shipments, translating foreign languages, converting currencies, and more (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later)
Visual Look Up
- Lift topic from the background isolates an image’s subject so it may be copied and pasted into apps like Mail and Messages (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later)
- Visual Look Up enhances photo recognition of birds, insects, spiders, and monuments (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later)
Siri in iOS 16
- Easy Shortcuts setup allows you to perform shortcuts with Siri as soon as you download an app, with no additional setup required (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later)
- A new feature allows you to send texts without Siri prompting you to confirm.
- “Hey Siri, what can I do for you here?”
“allows you to discover new capabilities of Siri in iOS and apps simply by asking” ( the iPhone XS, the iPhone XS Max, the iPhone XR, and later)
- The ability to conclude Phone and FaceTime chats with Siri simply by speaking “Hey Siri, hang up” (in the iPhone XS, the iPhone XS Max, the iPhone XR, and later).
Dictation in iOS 16
- The all-new Dictation experience allows you to enter and edit text by utilizing your voice and keyboard simultaneously (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later)
- As you speak, automatic punctuation inserts all punctuation marks including the commas, the periods, and even question marks.
- Emoji support allows you to insert emojis with your voice (iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, and later)
- The Multi-stop routing in Maps application allows you to add up to maximum fifteen stops in between your driving path.
- When you add transit cards to Wallet, you can check on lowered balances and replenish your card without leaving Maps.
- Transit fares in the San Francisco Bay Area, London, New York, and San Diego show you how much your trip will cost.
Wallet and Apple Pay
- Apple Pay Order Tracking provides full receipt and order tracking information in Wallet for Apple Pay purchases made with participating merchants.
- Wallet ID cards allow you to exchange your information (verified) with those apps that require an identity verification ( in the iPhone 8 and later)
- Apple Account allows you to top up your account balance in Wallet using your Apple Account card.
- The Home app has been redesigned to make it easier to explore, organize, see, and control your smart home accessories.
- The Home tab has been updated to combine all of your accessories, rooms, and scenarios into a single page for a whole-house view, allowing you to see your complete home at a glance.
- Lights, climate, security, speakers and TVs, and water categories provide rapid access to all necessary accessories sorted by room, as well as more extensive status information.
- A new camera view in the House tab places up to four cameras front and center; scroll to see any additional camera views in your home.
- Redesigned accessory tiles have more easily identifiable icons that are color-matched to their category, as well as additional behaviors for more precise accessory controls.
Health In iOS 16
- The Prescriptions tool allows you to track and manage your medications, vitamins, and supplements by making a list, creating custom schedules and reminders, and then viewing tracking over time.
- Use your iPhone camera to add drugs (iPhone XS, iPhone XR, and later)
- Interaction warnings notify you if a critical interaction occurs when you add a new medicine.
- Cycle deviation notifications notify you if your reported menstrual cycles exhibit a trend of infrequent, irregular, protracted, or chronic spotting.
- Health Sharing Invitations enable loved ones to effortlessly and securely share their health data with you.
- Health Sharing reminders provide you with transparency and control over the health information you share with loved ones.
- My Sports allows you to effortlessly follow your favorite teams and leagues, as well as watch highlights, directly from the News app.
- Favorites provide quick access to the channels and topics you read the most, keeping them at the top of your Today feed.
- New homepages include visually updated and easier-to-navigate subject feeds for local news areas, sports teams and leagues, and other topics.
Sharing within the Family
- Improved child account setup makes it easier to create an account for a child with the necessary parental controls, such as media limitations based on age.
- Device setup for a child allows you to use Quick Start to quickly set up a new iOS or iPadOS device for your child with the parental settings you’ve chosen.
- Screen Time requests in Messages make it even easier to approve or refuse your child’s requests.
- Family Checklist provides advice and recommendations such as changing a child’s parental control settings, enabling location sharing, or just reminding you to share your iCloud+ subscription with everyone.
Check for Safety
- Safety Check is a new area in Settings designed to assist persons experiencing domestic or intimate partner violence in swiftly resetting the access they’ve provided to others.
- Emergency reset allows you to swiftly take action to reset access across all individuals and apps, such as deleting Find My location sharing, resetting app privacy permissions, and more.
- Manage sharing and access enables you to evaluate and configure which apps and people have access to your data.
- Magnifier’s door detection feature locates a door, reads signs and symbols around it, and provides instructions on how to open the door (iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro)
- Apple Watch mirroring gives you full control of your Apple Watch from your iPhone and allows you to use Switch Control, Voice Control, or any other iPhone assistive capabilities to get the most out of your Apple Watch.
- Live Captions (beta) instantly transforms audio to text so that users who are deaf or hard of hearing can follow along with calls and media content more easily (iPhone 11 and later)
- By integrating inputs from numerous gaming controllers into one, the Buddy controller allows users with cognitive disabilities to receive support from a caregiver or buddy while playing a game.
- More than twenty new languages and locales are now available for the Voice Over feature, including one of the Indian languages-Bangla, Catalan, Bulgarian, Vietnamese, and Ukrainian.
- In the Voice Control spelling mode, you can dictate names, addresses, or other custom spellings letter by letter.
Other Additions and Improvements Included in This Edition Include:
- The Fitness app allows you to track and fulfill your fitness goals even if you don’t have an Apple Watch yet, by using iPhone motion sensors to predict how many calories you’ll burn to meet your daily Move target.
- AirPods Pro (2nd generation) compatibility.
- Personalized Spatial Audio use the iPhone’s TrueDepth camera to generate a personal profile for Spatial Audio, resulting in a more precise and immersive listening experience on AirPods (3rd generation), AirPods Pro (1st and 2nd generation), and AirPods Max.
- Handoff in FaceTime allows you to smoothly transfer FaceTime calls from your iPhone to your iPad or Mac, and vice versa.
- More sticker positions, hairstyles, hats, noses, and lip colors have been added to the Memoji collection.
- Quick Note now supports writing notes in any app on your iPhone as well as adding links to offer context and make it easier to find content.
- The translate camera allows you to translate the text around you using the Translate app’s camera.
- Photos’ duplicate detection recognizes duplicate photos, allowing you to swiftly tidy up your library.
- The new Foreground blur feature for portrait photographs in the Camera app blurs the objects in foreground for a more realistic depth-of-field effect (in the iPhone 13, the iPhone 13 Pro, and the iPhone 13 Pro Max)
- Pinned lists in Reminders allow you to quickly access your favorite lists.
- Search on the Home Screen allows Spotlight to be accessible right from the Home Screen‘s bottom, making it simple to open programs, find contacts, or retrieve web information.
- Send texts automatically through CarPlay to skip the step of confirmation while sending messages.
- Rapid Security Response allows essential security upgrades to be applied to your devices even faster because they may be implemented automatically in between routine software updates.
iOS 16 Supported Devices:
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- Phone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 and 11 series
- iPhone Xs, Xs Max, and XR.
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 8
- The iPhone SE second and third-gen
Read More: iOS 16 Supported Devices – Check If Your iPhone Supports the Latest iOS Update
Some functions may not be available in every area or on every iPhone model. Please visit this website for more information on the security content of Apple software updates.