Check here how to unpair an apple watch from an iPhone and erase data!
Like any other electronic devices in the arsenal, Apple launches a new model of Apple Watch every year or two. While Apple keeps their watches alive by shipping regular updates and changes, there are people who want to stay at the top of trend with the latest model and they end up selling their old watch for a new one.
If you’re one of them or are just giving away your Apple watch to your friend or family member, you need to make sure to unpair an Apple watch from an iPhone and erase your personal data from it.
Well, if you’re new to it, here’s how you can unpair an Apple watch from an iPhone and erase your data.
How To Unpair An Apple Watch From An iPhone?
By utilizing the Watch app on the connected iPhone, you can unpair and reset your Apple Watch in the quickest and easiest manner possible. Here’s how to unpair an Apple Watch from an iPhone.
- Step 1: Get your iPhone’s Watch app open. If you are unsure of its location, swipe right to search for ‘Watch’ on your home screen.
- Step 2: Choose the Apple Watch that has to be unpaired. The top of the watch app’s home screen will show a list of the Apple Watches that have been connected to your iPhone. Choose the device you wish to reset and unpair.
- Step 3: Click the rightmost orange (i) button. This will display the Apple Watch’s menu.
- Step 4: Click ‘Unpair Apple Watch’. A notice asking you to confirm that you want to unpair this Apple Watch will appear at the bottom of the screen. ‘Unpair X’s Apple Watch’ should be picked.
- Step 5: Wait for the Apple Watch to reboot and unpair. You will see the loading on Apple’s watch. The unpairing will take some time.
Image Credits: Apple
This is how you can unpair an Apple Watch from an iPhone. The Apple Watch erases all of its previous data before being paired with a new iPhone and resets.
How To Unpair And Reset An Apple Watch Without Using Your iPhone?
You can directly reset an Apple watch from the device unless, for some reason, you do not have access to the connected iPhone. Here’s how to do it.
- Step 1: Locate the Settings app by swiping through the apps on your Apple Watch. Like the app on your iPhone, it has a gear-like appearance.
- Step 2: Scroll down to ‘General’ in the Settings app. A gear symbol is also present.
- Step 3: Choose ‘Reset’ by scrolling down. It is located at the end of the list.
- Step 4: Select ‘Erase All Content and Settings’ by tapping on it. Resetting an Apple Watch from this page will not eliminate the Activation Lock that connects the watch to your iCloud Account, according to the warning. You can handle this issue as well.
- Step 5: Click ‘Erase All’ after scrolling down. You are wiping all data, as stated in the warning on this page. However, Activation Lock will remain in place. The Apple Watch will now reset itself and remove all data before being made available for pairing.
Image Credits: Apple
How To Unpair Apple Watch Via iCloud?
This step is a lifesaver to unlock and guarantee smooth usage if your Apple Watch is locked with Activation Lock or you have sold/given it away.
- Step 1: On your iPhone, open the ‘Find My’ app. Go to the bottom bar and click the ‘Devices’ tab.
- Step 2: You may wipe an Apple Watch by tapping it.
- Step 3: Then click ‘Erase This Device’. Press ‘Continue’, then ‘Erase’. Tap ‘Erase’ once more after entering your Apple ID password. You can also opt to remove this device from your ‘Find My’, so it will not be tracked.
What Happens If Your Apple Watch Will Not Unpair?
The unpairing procedure is interrupted in the midst of network or device problems. And as a result, it is impossible to repair or unpair the Apple Watch, which is in a state of stasis. What to do is as follows:
Restart Both Devices
Try again after restarting your iPhone and Apple Watch. Hopefully, this will fix the issue. If it doesn’t, attempt the next move to unpair an apple watch from an iPhone.
Force ErasingThe Apple Watch
Your Apple Watch must be secured with a passcode in order for this procedure to be successful. Until the process is complete, place your Apple Watch on the charger.
- Step 1: Long press the side button of your device till the power off option appears.
- Step 2: Now, hold down the ‘Digital Crown’ button until Erase all content and settings appears.
- Step 3:Tap ‘Reset’ one more to confirm “Force deleting an Apple Watch.”
Although Activation Lock is not affected, the process just removes all data and settings from Apple Watch, and thereby you can unpair an apple watch from an iPhone. By entering your Apple ID and password or by unpair it using iCloud, you can pair it with the same or another iPhone.
Talk To Apple Support
If nothing else is working for you right now, it is time to get in touch with Apple Support and ask for their assistance to unpair an apple watch from an iPhone.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my Apple Watch unable to connect to my phone?
If your Apple Watch does not pair, check the connection between the watch and your iPhone, confirm that Bluetooth is turned on in your iPhone, then update and restart both devices. Clear the iPhone’s network settings if you are still having issues.
Why did my Apple Watch lose its pairing?
If you disable Bluetooth on your iPhone or activate ‘Airplane mode’ on either device, your Apple Watch may become unpaired.
How much time does it take to unpair an Apple Watch from an iPhone?
The initial step does not go on for more than a minute. However, the device restart, unpairing, and backup processes could take up to an hour. Notably, timing can change based on data and network connection.